Read Write Inc Phonics
At Stoborough Primary we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children in Reception and Key Stage One off to a flying start with their reading. We also use it as 1:1 support and small group work for those children who need a more targeted approach.
We strongly believe that reading is one of the most important skills that children can master at primary school. We want our children to read early and quickly so that they can not only enjoy reading, but use reading to learn.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using Fred Talk (blending)
- read lively stories competently, featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds, using a helpful handwriting phrase.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds using 'Fred Fingers.' (segmenting)
Occasionally, pupils in Years 5 and 6 may need additional support with word-reading. Fresh Start teaches older struggling readers to read accurately and fluently with good comprehension. It is rooted in phonics and uses age-appropriate decodable texts
Please see the parent information section at the bottom of this page or follow this link for more handy videos https://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents and do get in touch with Mrs Spicer, our reading leader, if you have any questions.